Saturday, September 4, 2010

G4 Hackintosh Mod

The genesis of this started with the urge to build another hackintosh. I've hacked my MSI Wind and helped my friend, Dustin build his. I watched and gave pointers as he put it together himself. I've built PCs before and Dustin just wanted someone to back him up in case he got stuck. This was his first PC build.



Anyway, I was looking through the "Kakewalk" forum and saw that they had a mATX motherboard that could be hacked. I was intrigued and start to piece one together. I then decided against it because the cost was $100 to $200 less than the price of a new Mac Mini which I wanted for a HTPC. I mentioned this to Dustin who was interested because he had a Mac tower he was thinking of modding. As it so happened, my friend Rich was getting rid of his G4 Graphite Tower and asked the best way to destroy the data on the old hard drive. I grabbed the G4 for Dustin but when I brought it home, it got me thinking about the hack even more.



Needless to say I kept the G4 and Dustin and I are going to do the mod ourselves. It's been done before by a couple of people. I Googled it and found a good Youtube tutorial. The mod isn't too difficult. The main one is drilling some holes for the motherboard standoffs and the cutout the rear panel for the ports.



I'm trying to keep this build affordable. It's not cheap and it's not expensive either. I'm not trying for a cheap hack but one that is reasonable. This isn't going to be a powerhouse machine. I'm going to try to keep it kind of quiet because it may become the home theater DVR and iTunes music server.

I'll be posting updates on my progress so check back later.

No comments:

Post a Comment