Monday, September 27, 2010

Success and Issues

Success and Issues with my G4 Hackintosh Mod.

I tried using the following for my build:

Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L (Rev 1.1, F6)
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300
Zotac 9500GT 512
4GB OCZ Platinum
WD 2TB EADS
LG DVD Burner
Antec Earthwatts 500 PSU
Kakewalk 2.2 with Retail 10.6 on USB Flashdrive

At first boot I got the bootloader screen and then the Apple logo and loading. Then a blank screen. After a couple of reboots, the same thing as before. I was using the Zotac DVI output because the VGA is block by the rear panel and the VGA adapter can't fit. I then pulled out the Zotac card and used the onboard video. Hooray! I got the installer screen. I'm surprised that the onboard video worked. Nothing that I read had mentioned this before. It would have made things a lot easier.

Anyhow, I formatted the EADS and started the install. At 18 minutes before completion, it would stall and reboot. This occurred over the next couple of tries. Puzzled, I remember reading somewhere that EADS or green drives had problems being OS boot drives. I took my original 320GB drive from my 2008 Mac Pro, since upgraded, and after transferring the data over to the Pro, formatted and stuck it in the Mod.

Success! I ran the AzaliaAudio.pkg and sound is working. Everything except for sleep is working so far. I ran software update and it's fully up to date. The Zotac card and the EADS were the only two stumbling blocks that impeded me. The research helped but I need to be more sure and selective in my choices. What I still need is a video card that works.

I did order the ATI Radeon HD 5770 from the Apple Store for my 2008 Mac Pro. It should arrive in 1-2 weeks. I'll then put my Nvidia 8800GT in the Mod and see how that works. Too bad the Zotac didn't work out. I wanted the HDMI to hook up to my HD TV. Maybe next time.

Update: I've sent the Zotac card back to Amazon and the 5770 arrived the day after I ordered it but wasn't home to receive it. Darn! It was the weekend and FedEx doesn't deliver Mondays. Still waiting. I have to test the firewire card too. Video to follow. I also did a reinstall but used a 10.6.3 retail image. It worked as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment